by Damilola Adekoya, HR Officer at RS Hunter Limited, February 26, 2016
When you hear the saying “Attitude is everything” what tends to spring to mind? Sometimes I feel that we miss the real essence of what the quote is trying to communicate. I have experienced situations where people think that if they work hard at something – even if we don’t enjoy it, the outcome would be successful.
In some instances, it could be that they do not understand the reasons why a task is being carried out in a particular way but to avoid being confrontational they don’t ask questions so as not to ‘rock the boat’ thereby maintaining a good working relationship with those in the team. Did you ever think that success is relative? I believe there is a greater level of success that is achieved when we love what we do and believe in the reasons why it was being done.
In my opinion, our attitude is a holistic approach to what we do and as such it is a combination of our thoughts, our beliefs and our actions. If one is misaligned, then your whole attitude is wrong – basically in my view you cannot have the right attitude with a negative belief.
So I asked myself, what are the ‘combination of things’ that will enable me exhibit the right attitude in my personal and professional life?
Here are 8 essentials I’ve come up with:
- Always Smile: Smiling keeps you going. Smiling
doesn’t mean you are happy, it just means you’re friendly and approachable. It is a welcoming sign of confidence and positivity that tells others ‘I am in control’ or ‘I am ready for a new challenge’.
- Dress Properly: Your dressing can be viewed as an outward demonstration of your inner feelings. Take pride in your appearance and always be prepared for when the opportunity arises to present yourself in the best light. It could be a random meeting with a potential business partner or a former classmate. Remember, the way you dress determines the way you are addressed.
- Think Positively: Be constantly aware of your thoughts. Don’t allow negativity to cause fear or panic. You must believe you can achieve success in the things you’ve set out to do.
- Respect Others: The way you will relate with people would determine how they relate with you. Listening before you speak, allowing others to voice their opinions, being polite and courteous goes a long way to building long lasting relationships that will come in handy when you least expect.
- Timeliness: Working with others? Don’t be the one holding them back. Get straight to work on your ‘to-do’ list. Stop dillydallying! Remember, “Procrastination is the thief of time” so don’t put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
- Rest Well: Working all the time will soon take its’ toll on your body and your mind. Work-life balance is essential to keeping you energised and excited about what you need to do so don’t burn yourself out.
- Ask Questions: Need clarification? Ask questions. Know the why, what, when, who and how of what you are doing. If you don’t know why you’re carrying out a task, then how will you feel a real sense of accomplishment and value when it’s completed?
- Set Goals: The saying “If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time” is so apt when it comes to having the right attitude. It is almost impossible to believe you can achieve something great when you haven’t broken it down into simple goals that can be measured. Once you have determined what you want to achieve (personally and professionally) within a certain period, write it down, break it up into measurable goals and periodically review how well you’re doing.
Remember “Your attitude determines your altitude” so don’t allow negative thoughts, beliefs and people to hinder your success. Surround yourself with energised people who have a strong belief in their ability and make a commitment to being the positive influence in the life of others as you focus on your life of endless possibilities.